Many people are concerned at our first conference about the possibility of domestic violence occurring if he or she files a dissolution of marriage action.  Basically in Colorado if you have such concerns and if there has been a history of domestic violence you can go to the court at the outset of the dissolution of marriage action and ask for a temporary protection order.  If the court feels that there is eminent danger then the court will enter a temporary protection order that orders your spouse or partner in civil union to leave the family home and allow the other party exclusive use of the home.  The court will then set a hearing to take place within the next fourteen days to determine whether there is a need for a permanent protection order.  At that time under most circumstances, there is an agreement that is entered into between the parties that allows the temporary protection order to be extended through the end of the dissolution of marriage process.